Rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft offer a convenient and affordable alternative to driving yourself. But many people wonder just how safe these options are. After all, you are in the car and care of someone else that you don’t know. Are you truly safe? What about the horror stories you hear about on the news?
Fortunately, there are some things you can do to ensure that you are safe while enjoying a rideshare trip. Take a look at the following safety tips that could help you avoid a dangerous situation.
Rideshare Safety Tips for Riders
Before hopping into a rideshare vehicle, remember these tips to keep yourself safe:
- Wait for your Uber or Lyft in a safe, well-lit area. If possible, wait inside where you are until the driver arrives.
- Beware of fake drivers. When you book your ride, make sure that you take note of the driver’s name and the license plate number. Verify the license plate and driver’s license before getting in.
- Ask the driver for your name before getting in. He or she should know your name from the app.
- When possible, don’t ride alone. There is safety in numbers. There are rideshare drivers who try to take advantage of their riders regarding their fares.
- Tell your driver that you care about safety. Encourage him or her to follow the law and rules of the road.
- Buckle up while you ride. Your rideshare driver is not exempt from the dangers of driving on busy roadways. Make sure you use acceptable car safety practices to avoid injury if an accident does happen.
- Use trip-sharing features in your phone or app to let someone else know where you are going and who you are riding with.
- Never share personal or private information with your rideshare driver.
- Be aware of traffic when you enter or exit a rideshare vehicle.
Perhaps the best safety tip of all is to trust your instincts. If something seems “off” or wrong, it probably is. Never get in the car with someone that makes you uncomfortable. If you don’t feel secure during a ride, wait until you are at a safe place and exit the vehicle.
If you need help or legal representation regarding a rideshare situation, contact Abogados Campeones. We’re here for you!