If you have never been involved in a car accident, it is hard to imagine what you will think, feel, and do if one occurs. It is natural to feel anxious and frightened when a car accident happens, but it is important to stay calm and remember a few crucial steps to protect yourself and others.
What to Do After a Car Accident
If you are involved in a car accident, take these steps to ensure that you and others are safe and protected – in the immediate aftermath and in the days or weeks to come.
- Assess the Scene: If you are not seriously hurt and can do so, assess the scene for injuries and damage. You should also evaluate your surroundings for potential dangers, such as smoke.
- Move to Safety: If you are able, move yourself and others to safety on the side of the road. If you cannot move your vehicles, at least move anyone involved to a safe area.
- Call 911: Call 911 as soon as possible. Police can help control the scene and manage traffic. They will also complete a police report, which can be helpful when filing insurance claims. Paramedics can attend to anyone who is injured or needs help. Firefighters will assess the scene to make sure there are no hazards to the general area.
- Exchange Information: Exchange information with other drivers involved in the accident. Make sure you get their driver’s license and tag information. You should also exchange information with the police officer who filled out the report and with any witnesses at the scene.
- Take Photos: If possible, take photos of the accident scene. Take pictures of the general vicinity and more detailed pictures of any damage to the vehicles involved.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: It is essential to contact your insurance company as soon as possible after a car accident. There may be deadlines for filing a claim, and you don’t want to miss them.
Perhaps the best thing you can do after a car accident is to call a car accident lawyer. If you or someone else was injured, a lawyer can advise you of your rights and your options for getting the compensation you need and deserve.